Thursday, January 12, 2012

Final thoughts before Friday

I spend a lot of time thinking about race psychology, trying to tweak pre-race routines to help me find the "optimal level of arousal". If I get too hyped I don't think straight, the fight or flight mindset takes over and I make silly, rushed mistakes. If my head's not in it then I don't focus enough or be aggressive enough.

I haven't raced many of the people signed up for this event, and that can be daunting - I don't know who to chase, who does well off the start, who finishes strong, who's good through the technical sections, and who I should follow through the straights.

I got Cadel Evan's "The Long Road to Paris" with photos from Graham Watson for Christmas. It's filled with insightful quote, thoughts, and statements. This one stood out to me while I've been obsessing over this race...

"I have to race whoever turns up. The race decides who is the best. All I have to do is prepare properly and do the best I can." Cadel Evans.

1 comment:

  1. Great quote for life and race. Prepare and show up! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete