Monday, January 16, 2012

CX Masters Worlds Race Day recap

So the big event has come and gone. Feels strange to be finished with something that I've been anticipating for so long.

It was a great event, and I feel honored to have had the opportunity to mix it up with top class riders from around the world. These were tough conditions, and it was by far the hardest course I've raced on. It took a lot of skill and mistake free riding from Sven Van Eyndt of Begium to pull off the win, which is his second Masters World Championship title. Andrew Reardon appeared to be the strongest rider, setting the fastest lap times and by opening up a lead at one point. However, he feel victim to the course and crashed hard. He apparently took a long time to get up and lost valuable seconds in the process.

Thursday the course was as muddy as it gets, and riders left deep ruts and holes everywhere. Some were running as much as 60% of the course. Then the temperature dropped and everything froze solid. Puddles turned to skating rinks, and ruts froze to be as hard as concrete. It took a lot of guts and concentration to stay on the bike - I estimate that I crashed at least 10 - 15 times including a particularly heavy one on the way to the start line.

I had a bad day, I was not performing - but I had fun taking on the challenging sections and listening to all the support from other local riders, friends and family who stood out in the ridiculously cold conditions. I was disappointed with myself, but it's hard to pout for too long with so many fun and supportive friends and family around - thanks for reminding me that I'm lucky to be out having fun and racing my bike.

Big thanks Sean Darrow and Joe Nalley for pitting for me - great bike hand off. Sorry I took so long to finish, I think Joe was the last loyal pit person to get out of the cold.

Navigating frozen ruts.

The amazing cheer squad, complete with Team Whayne Cat racing flag.

It was hard to understand how something so rough could be so slippery until I crashed on it over and over again. Going straight over this stuff was not an option, you had to zig zag to keep from getting your wheels caught. It was like trying to ride over a cattle grid with ice all over it.

Time to put up the cross bike and settle into the off-season...

1 comment:

  1. Great recap! Wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete